by Mark Shimamura
You’re not going to sink every putt, but a consistent putting stroke will go a long way to lowering your scores. Putting is probably the most important area in your golf game and depending on what your handicap is, can represent a much as 40% of your total score.
Here are some suggestions to help you putt confidently:
- Find a putter that you like – style and length
- Find a stance and setup you are comfortable with
- Set your eyes directly over the golf ball
- Keep your head and knees steady throughout your stroke
- Firm wrists – only your upper arms and shoulders move the putter
- A soft grip pressure will help you with a smooth pendulum stroke
- Keep your eyes on the ball until you strike it – don’t peek
- Hold your finish – if you don’t sink your putt, at least you’ll look good!
Mark Shimamura is the golf pro at Maui Country Club.